One of our key aims is to offer comprehensive support for school groups. Encouraging young people to see these plays, in this space, is at the heart of our planning and we want to make this as accessible and affordable as possible. We advise ages 10+ for the performances but this is at the discretion of the school.
We are also establishing The Rose Bursary Scheme whereby schools can apply for an allocation of free tickets for Shakespeare’s Rose Theatre. (*criteria apply, please contact our office for further details).
The two options we have for school bookings are:
Option 1 – School Specific Performances
Nine performances have been scheduled specifically for schools, enabling us to offer better seats at a better price
- - Morning performances at 11.00am.
- - No limit to the number of students/staff attending.
- - Cost is £10 per ticket anywhere in the theatre, on a first come first served basis.
- - One staff member comes free with every 10 children.
- - Any additional staff pay £10 per ticket.
- - Opportunities for Q & A with some of the creatives, cast and crew after the performance.
- - These performances are booked through our office at Lunchbox Theatrical Productions, with no additional fees.
- - A 10% deposit will be taken upon booking, with final payment made 4 weeks before the performance.
|Monday 2nd July||11:00am||Macbeth|
|Tuesday 3rd July||11:00am||A Midsummer Night’s Dream|
|Wednesday 4th July||11:00am||Romeo and Juliet|
|Monday 9th July||11:00am||Romeo and Juliet|
|Tuesday 10th July||11:00am||A Midsummer Night’s Dream|
|Wednesday 11th July||11:00am||Macbeth|
|Monday 16th July||11:00am||A Midsummer Night’s Dream|
|Tuesday 17th July||11:00am||Romeo and Juliet|
|Wednesday 18th July||11:00am||Macbeth|
Option 2 – Public Performances
School groups are welcome to attend public performances across the season at a reduced price.
- - Either matinees at 2.30pm or evening performances at 7.30pm.
- - Cost is £10.50* for Groundlings (standing) or £20* for best available B and C Reserve seats.
- - Limited to 50 tickets per performance.
- - One staff member free with every 10 children, additional staff pay ticket prices as above.
- - Tickets are booked through Ticketmaster or York Theatre Royal and paid for at the time of reservation.
- - *NOTE costs quoted above exclude the agents’ booking/delivery fees.
Whether you book through Option 1 or Option 2 we will also be offering:
- 1. Bespoke education materials to support your planning pre and post-performance.
- 2. A chance to book in-school workshops, tailored to your curriculum.
- 3. The Rose Bursary Scheme where schools can apply for an allocation of free tickets together with free rail tickets (through our sponsor Grand Central Rail and their sister train operators Northern Rail and Cross Country. Criteria apply, please contact our office for further details).
- 4. We are in the process of working with neighbouring attractions in York (York Castle Museum, Clifford’s Tower and Jorvik Viking Centre) to explore additional savings that we might be able to offer, enabling you to make the most of your visit to York.
We would be delighted to assist you with your planning and with any queries you may have, so please feel free to call Chloe Barr at Lunchbox Theatrical Productions, organisers of Shakespeare’s Rose Theatre, on 01653 619169 or email us at email@example.com.
We offer Free Education Visits to all of our English Heritage sites for schools, english-heritage.org.uk/learn/school-visits. For our York sites this includes Clifford’s Tower and the hidden gem, York Cold War Bunker.